Why We Should All Thank Victoria Beckham for This 5-Minute Polished Pony
For some of us, finding new and inventive ways to primp our go-to ponytail is a task that never ends. This NYFW, inspiration came from an unlikely place—Victoria Beckham. Turns out the eternally chic designer, ex-Spice Girl, mother and wife to David Beckham, knows what women want when it comes to their hair. Global creative director for Redken (as well as of VB's A/W 16 show), Guido Palau agrees: "Victoria Beckham has established an identity about her woman which is this very minimal, wearable idea of beauty that’s almost what real women do with their hair."
This season Palau translated that "identity" into a simple but modern two-textured ponytail. Perfect for busy mornings, it's a fresh take on your favourite 'do and only takes a few tweaks to achieve. Keep scrolling for the how-to.
- Mist damp hair with Redken's Pillow Proof Primer ($33) and comb through to cut down on blowdrying time and provide heat protection.
- Follow with a walnut-sized amount of the brand's Satinwear 02 Lotion ($33) for smoothness and shine.
- Blowdry hair using Ghd's Air Hairdryer ($200) to knock back frizz and create a clean hairline. Groom the hair back away from the face as you go using fingers or a brush.
- Once hair is dry, liberally spray the crown with hairspray for shine and hold, then, smooth hair back into a low ponytail and secure with an elastic.
- Using a one-inch curling iron, loosely wrap small sections of the ponytail around the barrel to create soft bends.
- To finish, lightly spray the crown with hairspray again for a wet-look finish.
Tip: When curling the ponytail don't hold the hair tightly around the barrel of the tong. The aim is to add a "bend" to the hair, as opposed to a wave.