The Health and Beauty Benefits of Adaptogenic Chocolate
I have an uncontrollable sweet tooth. I mean, pizza is great, and I'd never say no to a good brie, but it's Malteasers and Black Forest Cadbury blocks that truly hold a special place in my heart. With that being said, I also care deeply about my health, and I do try and avoid processed sugars for the most part. So for that reason, I love seeking out healthier alternatives that taste delicious, but also nourish my body.
Loco Love is a brand that does exactly that. Founded and created by Emica Penklis, Loco Love is a business that creates small batch, hand-crafted vegan chocolates laced with the whimsical preperties of adaptogens. They're created with ingredients like dates, nuts, tahini, and tonic herbs including Ashwagandha and He Shou Wu for a treat that's sweet and nourishing all at once.
Penklis, being the angel that she is, was actually kind enough to take her knowledge of health-conscious chocolate and create a bespoke recipe for us here at Byrdie Australia. Her Love-Infused Raw Chocolate Bark is actually so great, you'll be hard-pressed not to eat it all in one go. Keep scrolling for the recipe (or to shop Loco Love products if you aren't domestically-inclined).
Love-Infused Raw Chocolate Bark
1/2 cup raw cacao butter.
5 tablespoons raw cacao powder.
3 tablespoons maple syrup or coconut nectar.
2 tablespoons tahini.
1 teaspoon carob.
1 teaspoon lucuma.
1 pinch salt.
1 pinch vanilla powder or dash of vanilla essence.
Optional: 1/2 tsp medicinal mushroom extracts or tonic herbs such as Ashwaganda.
Toppings: We used naked ginger, raspberries, roasted macadamias and peanuts in this recipe. You can add whatever you like. Peppermint, rose and orange essential oils make a delicious addition.
- Melt the cacao butter using a double boiler method, or on a very low heat in a saucepan.
- After they are fully melted removed from he heat, add the cacao powder, carob, lucuma, vanilla and salt, whisk thoroughly.
- Add the sweetener of choice and tahini, and mix through (you will notice the mixture start to thicken).
- Quickly transfer it to a shallow dish or baking try lined with non stick parchment paper.
- Sprinkle with your choice of toppings.
- Place in the fridge to cool.
- Once set break in pieces and enjoy with gratitude.