3 Rad Summer Braid Ideas From Free People's Hairstylist
If your go-to loose side braid or fishtail has been feeling a bit boring, allow us to spice up your (braid) life. Free People is giving us an exclusive sneak peek at its magalog, The Great Escape, and let’s just say this: Your braid game is about to get way, way upped. Hairstylist Amy Farid from Suite Caroline Salon is responsible for the mind-blowing braids you’re about to feast your eyes on, and she indulged our hair obsession by breaking down her techniques and sharing some of her expert tips. “It’s easier to braid dirty hair,” she shares. “It’s awesome if you don’t have time to wash your hair—just spray in some dry shampoo and start braiding away!”
You don’t need to tell us twice. Now, where are our bobby pins…
Keep scrolling for three rad summer braids you’ve never seen before!
Amy’s note: I prepped ALL the hair with Bumble and Bumble Surf Spray ($39) before braiding. Doing this helps the braiding process and adds texture to slippery, soft hair.
1. Use a tail comb to divide the hair into four sections.
2. Start each braid at the front hairline and continue to the ends. Farid applied Bumble and Bumble’s Sumo Tech ($40) with her fingers as she braided.
3. Add Free People’s Straight Shooter Booby Pins ($22) throughout the hairstyle to decorate and hold the braids in place.
4. To finish, Faird used her hands to gently pull apart the plaits.
Courtesy of Free People
1. Start the french braid on the left side of the back of the head, picking up a little hair each time to make the braid thick and flat.
2. Coil the end of the braid around the braid, and pin the ends underneath using a few bobby pins.
3. Spritz with a flexible hair spray, like KMS California Hair Stay Medium Hold Hair Spray ($27), to finish.
Courtesy of Free People
1. Start with a deep side part, with a front section of hair left out.
2. Divide the rest of hair into two big sections, and braid.
3. Wrap each braided section around to create a bun shape.
4. Divide the front section into two sections, and braid.
5. Wrap the braids around the buns, and secure using a bobby pin.
6. Finish with a spritz of Bumble and Bumble Does It All Styling Spray.
Amy’s note: Or, you can leave out one of the braids to hang like the photo above!
Click here for major summer braid inspo, straight from Instagram!