3-Minute Read: Don't Go to Bed Tonight Without Doing These 4 Things First
Welcome to 3-Minute Read, your midweek rundown of everything we're talking about at Byrdie HQ. Every Thursday, we'll get you up-to-date on the beauty news you need to know—in just three minutes.
1. You'll need to go to bed like a boss to wake up like one.
Pro tip: While engaging in healthy rituals before bed should ideally be a nightly occurrence, it's valuable to have an especially healthy routine to rely on when you have a big day ahead—say, an important presentation or an interview. Coveteur editor Noah Lehava's is four steps:
1. She powers down. "Putting a hard stop to my work and IG worm-holing by 9 p.m. is imperative," she says. Truer words have never been spoken.
2. She changes into pyjamas. It's totally psychological, but we can confirm that waking up in fancy grown-up pj's rather than your ratty college T-shirt is a total confidence booster.
3. She sips on something calming. Skip the red wine, and settle for herbal tea instead, because alcohol isn't going to do your sleep cycle any favours.
4. She engages in some aromatherapy. Calming scents like lavender, peppermint, and patchouli are all scientifically shown to relax the brain.
Should you have time, our bonus tip is to take a bath an hour before bed—when you get out of the tub, your body temperature will drop, signaling your brain that it's time to get some deep sleep.
Shop Our Bedtime Essentials
2. Speaking of living your best life, why don't you get yourself an award-winning haircut?
The always-amazing (and ever-growing) Edwards And Co salon just cemented its status as every fashion girl's go-to cut and colour spot by winning not one, but two industry awards. In addition to taking home the coveted honour of salon business of the year at the Australian Hair Fashion Awards (!!), it also nabbed best salon design for its light-filled Alexandria space at the Australian Hair Industry Awards. We have a feeling it's about to get a whole lot harder to make an appointment...
3. In even more amazing hair news, it's now possible to get a makeover in just 30 minutes.
From this month, Toni & Guy salons are launching a clever time-saving service which aims to get you in and out the salon door in roughly half an hour. Stylists skip the usual wash, massage and blowdry (aka the stuff that takes forever) and instead focus on transforming your already clean hair into a bespoke braid or intricate updo. Got a wedding coming up? You're welcome.
4. It's time to ditch false lashes once and for all.
See you never, sticky glue: These nine eyelash primers are better alternatives anyway.
5. This cult-fave highlighter just got even better.
YSL just gave its beloved Touche Éclat a star-spangled makeover. Consider all your highlighting needs officially met.