12 Fascinating Facts About Your Skin
The skin is the largest organ in the human body, as such, you’d expect some pretty interesting workings—but “interesting” doesn’t even scratch the surface of what we found. We did some digging to pull together 12 fascinating facts about your skin—Keep flipping through to see them all!
4. It’s not broken, don’t fix it: Today, Pond's Cold Cream ($9) is the most sold cold cream on the market, and the main ingredient, beeswax, remains the same—just like in Galen’s first cream.
6. Sun gods: Two separate inventors, Chemists Eugene Schueller and Franz Greiter, are credited with the development of the first sunscreens in the 1930s. But it’s not for another 30 years that the term “Sun Protection Factor” (SPF) gets introduced by Greiter as a way to measure a product's ability to block ultraviolet rays.
8. Your skin is essentially waterproof: Spend as much time as you want in the water, but nothing will pass into you and nothing will leave your skin because each cell is surrounded by waterproofing lipids like cholesterol, fatty acids, and ceramides, making skin a great water barrier. Without skin’s ability to minimise water loss, water would evaporate from the skin and we would literally dissolve.
10. Bloody good skin: Your body’s own platelet-rich plasma can be used to give your face that radiant glow—just ask Kim Kardashian. The reality TV star is not shy about her blood facial habits, in which blood is drawn from the arm, spun at high speeds to separate the platelets, and then injected back into the face.
12. Men and women really are different: Men have a higher collagen density than women. Because collagen content is so tied to signs of ageing, it has been said a woman’s skin is about 15 years older than a man’s of the same age. However, men are less sun-savvy, and their increased level of UV damage could negate their inherent slowed ageing and contribute to why the “15 year” skin age difference is not often readily noticeable.
Love these fascinating skin fact? Check out these mindblowing perfume facts too!