3 Ab-Sculpting Pilates Moves You Can Do in Bed
Sculpting a set of rock-hard abs is high on the wish list for many fitness junkies. Your middle is one of the hardest places to lose fat and gain definition, so it makes sense that flat abs are seen as a sign of peak fitness. (Also, they look nice.) While we know Gigi Hadid puts in an hour-long workout four times a week to keep her abs toned, we don't have that kind of time on our hands. (Guessing you don't, either.) So, what to do when you're short on time but still want to target your core? Planks? Crunches? Balance ball pikes? According to hot yoga and Pilates instructor Tahlia Ware, the answer is, none of the above.
According to Sporteluxe, who has just published its fourth installment in a six-week Pilates challenge with Ware, establishing core control is key to a washboard stomach. And practicing specific side-lying ab exercises—not crushing 100 sit-ups—is what will get you there. The good news? Ware has shared her favourite moves for sculpting your mid-section, and It's totally possible to perform them without getting out of bed. Really.
Keep scrolling for 3 core-toning Pilates moves you can do in bed.
SIDE LEG LIFT
1. To start, lay on one side with both legs placed slightly forward (in front of the hips), and squeezed together. Reach the bottom arm long and rest your head on top of it. Place your top hand on your hip.
2. Inhale to prepare. Exhale, and keeping the legs squeezed together, reach them away from the body lifting just off the mat.
3. Inhale and lower your legs back to the mat.
Repeat 10 repetitions on each side
Not keen on exercising in bed? We love Yoga Everywhere's scenic yoga mats ($129).
1. To start, lay on one side with both legs placed slightly forward (in front of the hips), and squeezed together. Reach the bottom arm long and press your bottom hand firmly into the mat. Reach the top arm out and along the legs.
2. Inhale to prepare. Exhale, and lift the upper body, reaching the top arm out and along the legs while simultaneously lifting the legs off the mat.
3. Inhale, and lower back to the starting position.
Repeat 5 repetitions on each side.
SIDE LEG CIRCLE
1. To start, lay on one side with both hands behind your head. Lift the bottom ribs just off the mat and bend your bottom knee for support. Reach the top leg out at hip height and point your foot.
2. Inhale, and reach the top leg forward, then up to perform the first half of the ‘circle’.
3. Exhale, and reach the top leg back and down to complete the second half of the ‘circle’.
Complete 10 repetitions on each side.
Head over to Spoteluxe for more ab-sculpting moves.